Monday, September 20, 2010

Beppu Beach Sand Bath

The sand bed is divided into two equal parts. Twelve people can enjoy sand bath at a time. My friend told me that they use special type of black sand for making the bed. First they level the sand and then flow natural hot spring water inside the sand bed. Thus the sandy bed becomes warm and ready for the bath. It is believed that this sand bath is very useful for Neuralgia, Muscular Pain, Joint Pain, Chronic Digestive Organs Illness, Fatigue, etc. Someone told me that this was the first place in Kyushu Island that Ippen Shonin (founder of Kannawa) had landed on and the name of Shoningahama park (beach of Shonin) came from his name Shonin.






Japanese enjoying their sand bath.

Autum was pretty excited about taking part in this.



Getting buried, the sand was very warm and kept getting hotter with the more I was buried, my butt was very red afterwards. You lay here for 15 minutes, I just closed my eyes and relaxed was very peaceful. I could hear the waves coming on shore and could feel the breeze from the ocean.











Kayleigh and Ben taking part in their bath.





We were so sweaty, in need of a really great shower.














This was 1,000 yen per person for 15 minutes, great experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment